In HyperCurrent, Products are bundles of Assets that are sold as a package to customers. Products have associated subscription terms and fees, overage rates, quotas, SLAs, and more attached to them.
- 1.Search for the 'Products' link in the navigation menu (Figure 1).
- 2.After clicking on the Products link, the Products dashboard appears (Figure 2).
Figure 1. Products link
Figure 2. Products dashboard
- 1.Click on the Products create button, located in the upper right corner (Figure 3).
- 2.After clicking on the Products create button, the Products form appears (Figure 4a, Figure 4b, Figure 4c).
- 3.Fill in the required inputs on each page and click on Save to create a new Product. Below is an explanation of the fields available during product creation.
- 1.Page One:
- Product Name: used by front-end commerce portals to display the name of your product to end users
- Product Version: allows you to keep a history of product changes by versioning new products as they are created
- A Payment Configuration can be chosen to enable the Product to collect revenue using Stripe. More detail on creating these configurations is available here.
- The Product Quota field defines a limit on the number of transactions to be enforced. Depending on the payment model chosen, the behavior of this field differs (either to absolutely block traffic once the quota is reached or to begin rating transactions at the overage rate once the quota is reached)
- Default Quota Notification Threshold allows you to set a percentage of the maximum transactions when a notification will be sent to the configured e-mail addresses chosen in the Provider Notification Addresses field on page 2 of the product creation process. Note that end user notifications can be configured for each Product Key that is created for a product.
- Recurring Subscription Fee: Defines the amount (if any) that will be charged at the beginning of each settlement period.
- Settlement period determines how often an invoice is generated for the Product. There are two options included for product testing that may not be completely intuitive, so they are explained further below:
- 5 Minutes (no synthetic transactions) - for one hour, this will open and close a settlement period every 5 minutes for every active product key under this product. This will generate customer notifications and invoices each five minutes so that you can test that everything is working as expected without waiting for actual settlement periods to close.
- 5 Minutes (randomized synthetic transactions) - this option behaves identically to the previous option, but in addition, a randomized number of transactions will be simulated for assets included in the products throughout the one-hour period so you can check how charges are applied to randomized usage scenarios and ensure your product's payment model is configured as you intended.
- Pricing Rules allow you to select a previously configured Pricing Rule that will apply for product keys issued under this product.
- 2.Page Two:
- APIM Provider: There are two options. The choice made here cannot be changed once the product is saved.
- Create a linked gateway product: Select from a previously configured APIM provider. Using a linked gateway will allow API product owners to choose from Assets that have been synchronized from that gateway and allow for the automatic creation of products in a supported gateway once saved in HyperCurrent.
- Create an unlinked gateway product: in this case, your API product must be manually created in a supported gateway and optionally linked using the "External ID" field later on this page if you want to manually link this product to a gateway.
- Gateway Environment: If you selected the linked gateway product above, then this field will allow you to choose which environment you wish to deploy your product (i.e. Staging vs. Production) after saving it in HyperCurrent. (this cannot be changed once saved)
- Publish to Commerce Portal: If a linked commerce portal has been set up, setting this to Published will display the new Product in your public API Product catalog.
- Product Audience: This filter is also used in linked commerce portals. The following options are available:
- All Users: default behavior, the product is public and viewable by anyone
- Named Users: if selected, only users with a pre-configured product key in HyperCurrent will be able to view and register for access to this product.
- Named Organizations: (under development) if selected, only users with an organization matching those configured under the product will be able to view and register for access to this product.
- External ID: this field allows you to manually link this product to an external gateway so that it can be dynamically displayed in a supported commerce portal like Anypoint Community manager from MuleSoft. More information available here.
- External Display Name: This field configures how a single instance of your product will be displayed to users in a commerce portal (i.e. if you have a hosted version of your product both in Europe & in the USA, you would define each here so that end users know which to select when purchasing & using your API products). This cannot be changed once saved.
- Product Code: This field is used to map revenue from this product to integrated ERP systems. Enter your internal identifier here that is used to associate revenue appropriately within your financial system.
- Assets: choose the assets that are bundled into this product. If you created a linked gateway product above, this list will automatically filter the correct assets from your gateway environment that are available for product bundling. If not, you can manually choose from any configured Assets in HyperCurrent.
- Provider Notification Address: The addresses configured here will receive all notifications related to the product (i.e. when new product keys are issued, when invoices are issued, and when customer quotas are reached). This field is meant for API product owners or other API provider employees, not for end users. Note that end user notifications can be configured for each Product Key that is created for a product.
- Send Invoices from HyperCurrent to product key owners: By default, this option is selected. In general, only unselect this box if you are set up to provide your own invoicing based on usage data exported from HyperCurrent.
- Tags: define tags as are useful for your own use case.
- 3.Page Three:
- This page is dedicated to information that will be exposed in a linked Commerce Portal to end users who are considering purchasing your offering.
- The various terms & conditions options on this page allow you to expose multiple required acceptance boxes when checking out to purchase a product (i.e. privacy agreement, contract terms, etc.)
- The short and long descriptions are shown in different places in linked commerce portals so that end users can see a brief summary in a catalog listing and full product details once they navigate to a specific product.
- 4.After clicking on the Save button, the changes will be saved.
Figure 3. Create New Product
Figure 4a. Product create form (Step 1)
Figure 4b. Product create form (Step 2)
Figure 4c. Product create form (Step 3)
The following payment models are supported for products. Additional, more complex pricing models are supported via the Pricing Rules page.
- One Time Charge: The amount entered in the Fixed One-Time Cost field will be charged on purchase.
- Transactional: Allows a rate to be charged per transaction. This rate is defined in the Rate charged per Transaction field and the total fees are charged at the end of each Settlement period.
- Subscription: Allows the amount configured in the Recurring Subscription Fee to be charged per Settlement Period. This amount is charged at the end of each Settlement period.
- Subscription & Overage: Allows a fixed amount to be charged per Settlement Period with an optional number of transactions included in the plan under the costs of the fixed charge. Transactions exceeding included transaction amount will be charged at a rate defined in the Overage rate per Transaction field. Both the fixed amount and any overage fees are charged at the end of each Settlement period.
Clicking on the eye, pencil, or trash can icons located in each row of the Product listing will allow you to view, edit, or delete existing Assets respectively.
Please note that Products with active product keys cannot be deleted.
The top search bar in Figure 11 shows where a user can search products by the product name or settlement period.
Additionally, as an admin user, the option to filter the list of Products by users is available. Search the user's name in the Owner search bar (Figure 16) and the table will be updated with the Products owned by that user. Admin users will see an option to view all Products assigned to the current organization.
Figure 11. Owner search